About the Total Myopia Program
At Gartner & Galstian Vision Care, we understand the challenges that myopia (nearsightedness) can present for children when it causes distant objects to appear blurry. Our team screens for myopia during all children’s eye exams.
To help kids affected by myopia, we recently launched the “Total Myopia” program! Our dedicated eye care professionals use technology to assess, care for, and develop personalized treatment strategies for myopia control. These comprehensive strategies include:
- Customized eye drops, soft multifocal contacts, and overnight lenses
- A systematic approach with scheduled follow-up appointments to provide consistent medical oversight and support for maintaining optimal eye health
- Assessments tailored to each child’s individual needs
- Thorough training on how to use, insert, and remove contact lenses
- An ongoing regimen for myopia control with a focus on achieving lasting results
With Gartner & Galstian Vision Care, you can trust that your child’s myopia is in capable hands. We’re here to support their vision needs every step of the way.
Understanding Myopia Control
Myopia control is an area of eye care that uses different tools and treatments to prevent or slow myopia progression. Depending on your child’s specific needs, our team can offer myopia management options such as:
- Ortho-k contact lenses
- Peripheral defocus contact lenses
- Low-dose atropine drops
We work with you and your child to help you understand myopia and how we can help manage it.
Myopia in Children
It’s essential for parents to understand the connection between vision and learning when it comes to myopia in children. Myopia can make it challenging for children to see clearly at school and focus on classroom activities—which can affect their ability to learn, play, and grow.
- Retinal tears and retinal detachment
- Myopic macular degeneration
These risks make it all the more important to slow the progression of myopia, especially for younger children.
Different Signs & Symptoms of Myopia
Myopia can affect your children in different ways. It’s important to watch their behavior and keep an eye on the different signs and symptoms, which can include:
- Eye strain
- Blurry vision when looking at faraway objects
- Squinting to see distant objects
- Frequent eye rubbing
- Sitting too close to screens
If your child is experiencing these symptoms or you notice these symptoms, a comprehensive eye exam with our team can help. We can determine if myopia control methods such as ortho-k lenses could be beneficial for your child.
Our Myopia Control Methods
If your kids are dealing with nearsightedness, the good news is that there are several options for controlling their myopia while their eyes are still growing.
The available myopia control methods include:
- Low-dose atropine drops: This topical eye drop is shown to be effective for myopia control in children between 5 and 18.
- Peripheral defocus contact lenses: These specialty contact lenses create a bullseye in the center of the lens with outer rings that blur peripheral vision. Blurred side vision is believed to slow myopia growth.
- Orthokeratology contact lenses: Ortho-k contact lenses flatten the cornea overnight, providing clear vision when they’re removed in the morning. The vision effects are temporary, and the eye will return to normal if your child stops wearing them. However, ortho-k lenses may also provide a level of permanent reduction for myopia progression.
Manage Myopia Today
Myopia can be challenging for kids, but with effective methods to slow its progression, our team can help. At Gartner & Galstian Vision Care, we are committed to supporting your child’s quality of life through personalized care.
Don’t wait to address myopia in your children—contact us to schedule your appointment today.
Come See What We’re About
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed